Fall 2023 winter break wrapup¶
This winter break I did a few things.
Things I cooked¶
- Made potato soup with mushrooms and broccoli
▲ First attempt with mushrooms
▲ This hardly looks like soup
▲ Refined attempt
Note: I imitated the "cream of mushroom/broccoli soup" in dining halls but mine was less creamy, probably because I used milk instead of cream. I made it like four times in giant portions until I got sick of it and just cooked pasta.
- Tried mixing corn with flour and frying a crispy "corn cake" but just resulted in very greasy corn (also caused kitchen sewage pipe to break because I poured hot oil down there)
- Roasted tomatoes, carrots, and bell pepper, as well as leftover potatoes and mushrooms I couldn't cook because the pipe broke
Things I learned¶
- How to ice skate
- How the
- How to open a pipe (POSIX, not physical)
Things I saw¶
- A bunny
- Steamboat Willie
- Tom Scott's goodbye video
Things I gained¶
- FCC ham radio license
I talked with a person over the W8UM repeater and later participated in the net. I was nervous as fuck but handled just fine
- A free eggs coupon, when I came back home with a carton of eggs I just bought at full price
- A jug of tea for $1 despite the $3 price because the barcode was missing
Things I lost¶
None to my knowledge so far.
Things I played¶
- Shenzhen I/O
Things I read¶
- Lakoff, George. Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal about the Mind. U of Chicago Press, 1987. Probably chapter 8-14
Things I wrote¶
I fulfilled a few life goals this winter (e.g. ham radio license). While some friends did, I never went out of town. Mostly I stayed at home and only took the bus to the supermarket or to the ice rink. I did absolutely nothing festive on Christmas or the new year. However, when winter break began, I cracked open a soda because I am not yet at drinking age.
Overall rating: 75/100